December 6, 2011
Facebook ‘likes’ are now worth $4 each: West Van reader matches Telus donations
Every dollar is matched by the children’s fund, meaning that every ‘like’ sends $2 to help children in need in British Columbia.
On Thursday, those Facebook ‘likes’ just doubled in value – they’re now worth $4 each.
Thanks to West Vancouver reader Ken Mellquist, who has pledged to match Telus’s contribution with a $5,000 pledge, a total of $4 will go to Adopt-a-School for every Facebook ‘like’ for The Vancouver Sun Children’s Fund.
Those dollars are helping to put food in hungry tummies and helping to get coats and boots for children going to school cold.
The Sun covers administration costs, so every dollar goes to the kids.
When Telus joined Adopt-a-School as a founding sponsor, Jill Schnarr, Telus’s vice-president of community affairs, challenged people in the business community to pull together to help. “I would love to involve more corporations and companies locally, because even if we are all giving a small amount, it all adds up to a big impact,” she said.
It is adding up. Thanks to Ken Mellquist for taking up the challenge. Anyone want to add another $1 per like?
SIX WAYS TO DONATE
1. MAIL: Complete the donation form from the newspaper and mail to: The Vancouver Sun Children’s Fund Society, Suite 1 – 200 Granville St., Vancouver, B.C. V6C 3N3. We accept Visa, MasterCard or a cheque or money order payable to The Vancouver Sun Children’s Fund Society.
2. PHONE: To pay by credit card, call 604-605-2426.
3. ONLINE: To donate online using Visa or MasterCard, go to www.vansunkidsfund.ca and click on the donate button.
4. TEXT YOUR DONATION: Text SUNKIDS to 20222 to donate $5. Your donation, which will appear on your cellphone bill, will go to the Children’s Fund Adopt-a-School project.
5. FACEBOOK: For every ‘Like’ on the Children’s Fund Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ vansunkidsfund, Telus is donating $1 to Adopt-a-School. The Children’s Fund matches every $1 so every ‘like’ sends $2 to help B.C. kids in need.
6. NEW ITEMS: Our Adopta-School project not only collects money, it is a conduit so readers can immediately donate goods such as coats, shoes and gloves directly to schools and students who need them most. For information on how to donate new items, email adoptaschool@ vancouversun.com.